Brandon "Brad" Stewart
BRANDON "BRAD" STEWART is a native of Okaloosa County and comes from humble beginnings. He was raised to understand and appreciate the value of hard work and perseverance. He possesses deep local roots with a unique legal vision. Utilizing his life and educational experiences, Mr. Stewart has dedicated himself to excellence as a trial lawyer. Mr. Stewart received his Associates Degree from The University of Florida (2000), Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Sciences from Florida State University (2001), and Juris Doctor from Nova Southeastern University (2006). While in law school, he was a member of the Moot Court Honor Society and served as an Honor Court Student Justice from 2004-2006. Mr. Stewart also served as an Honor Court Student Prosecutor from 2003-2004. Additionally, he was the first President and founder of the Celtic American Law Society. This organization was awarded the most improved organization in 2005 and nominated as Graduate Organization of the Year in 2006.
Mr. Stewart began his legal career at the Office of the State Attorney, First Judicial Circuit of Florida. After leaving the State Attorney’s Office, he became partner in a Destin law firm. In 2009, Mr. Stewart opened Stewart Law Firm focusing exclusively on representing persons charged with crimes. Mr. Stewart is committed to helping his fellow citizens overcome legal adversity, and he passionately practices Criminal Defense with a professional and ethical emphasis.
Personal Achievements and Awards
- 2009 Leadership Award Recipient Destin Area Chamber of Commerce.
- 2011 Florida Trend’s Legal Elite Up and Coming Lawyers under the age of 40.
- 2012 Florida Trend’s Legal Elite Up and Coming Lawyers under the age of 40.
- 2013 The National Trial Lawyers Organization, Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
- Florida Bar, Member in Good Standing.
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida.
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Lifetime Member.
Okaloosa Bar Association, President 2013 - 2014.
- Okaloosa Chapter of Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Past Vice-President.
- Okaloosa Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, Founder & Past President.
- Celtic American Law Society, Founder & Organizing President.
- Florida State University Alumni Association, General Member.
My Role in Defending You:
My Great Uncle whom I deeply respect asked me one day, “Brad, how can you do this and represent people you know are guilty?” Many people have a negative attitude regarding criminal defense lawyers that is, until they need one. Most people who need a defense attorney never imagined that they would. Generally, most people I encounter are ordinary folks who find themselves in unusual or extraordinary circumstances. The concept of guilt or innocence is rarely cut and dry. Every case is unique, and my job is to get my hands dirty and figure out what’s what. The concept of an appropriate punishment for a guilty party is even more nebulous and much of my job is negotiating with prosecutors to get a reasonable sentence for clients who wandered too close to “the guilty side of things” to hope for an acquittal in a jury trial.
My response to my Great Uncle was several reasons:
- John 8:1-11 – Jesus plays the role of a criminal defense lawyer
- I keep prosecutors honest, and I make sure cops do good police work. Have I kept wrongdoers out of jail? Absolutely, I work very hard to be the best attorney I can be.
- Sometimes prosecutors are overzealous, sometimes cops botch investigations – our system is one of checks and balances. I proudly play a role to ensure the best judicial system in the world runs as efficiently as possible.
- This is how I put food on the table.
- I represent the client’s constitutional rights.
- Advocacy does not equate endorsement.
This is why I do what I do. I hope this information benefits you in deciding what attorney is best for your specific case. If you have a legal need, please contact our office located at 215 North Main Street in beautiful Historic Downtown Crestview.